So I woke up the next morning to find a small hole from the centre of the hole saw in the ceiling and snow on the ground
So I carried on with the hole saw and managed to finally get through the headliner
Deciding to drill from the top I discovered the hole would go through the teak hand rail. UGH.
So I had to cut the end off :(. I’ll sand the end off to a nice finish a bit later.
Finally the hole was finished!
However, it wasn’t flat for the throughhull piece, so out came the fiberglassing.
Trying to fiberglass stuff when its -3c out is NOT one of my smartest ideas, finally I finished though sealing the inside of the hole as well.
The next day I checked on it and disaster – the cold weather meant that it cured really slowly, and so it had kind of leaked down the slope.
My second attempt was using marine-tex. This went a lot better and I built up a portion to make a flat surface for the through-hull.
You can see where the yellow epoxy ran everywhere :. I should have just used marine-tex from the start, I’m gonna have to do a lot of sanding to clear that up.
Now hopefully tomorrow it will have cured fully and I can sand it down and mount the throughhull piece, meaning I no longer will have a giant hole in my roof!