Sealing engine hatch

AS EXCITING AS IT SOUNDS

One of the nice things about the Cherubini Hunter 36 is that engine access is excellent – you can get in from the front, from the side lazarette and the entire cockpit floor lifts up so you can get to it from above.

The problem when I got the boat was that the floor hatch was not secured down, instead just resting there. This meant that

– water seeped in down over the engine when it rained, pooling to form a big-ass lake under the engine sump (and I have enough water features already thank you very much) and

– in a knockdown or capsize the engine hatch would merrily fly off and disappear into the ocean

Both of these were not great scenarios.

I used the instructions from this thread here

Basically, I embedded barrel nuts in a ‘bed’ of epoxy on the frame of the hatch opening, after lining the edge with a rubber gasket.

From underneath:

wpid-wp-1436929758998.jpg

Top view

 

wpid-wp-1436929758558.jpg

 

All done

wpid-wp-1436929758574.jpg

 

Then it was a matter of getting some 1/4″ screws to secure the lid down

Done!

wpid-wp-1436929758673.jpg

 

Notice the soot/oil/fish blood stained non-skid. I really should get on repainting that.

That process seems easy but in reality the whole thing was a GIANT pain in the knackers, and took me almost 3 months. I had to do the first few one at a time to make sure they were placed correctly, and each barrel nut needed two lots of epoxy setting – one for the initial ‘fixing’ of the barrel nut using the bed of epoxy, and then one afterwards with the hatch removed to seal the top bit. HUGE PAIN.

 

 

 

Matt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.