NOTE: ALL PHOTOS ARE STILL AWFUL. I still need a new phone camera so I can take photos without the manditory ‘grime filter’ but am procrastinating like a good’un
So I decided to carry on with the Hebridean seeing as how I’d been on a bit of a roll (and the weather has been seriously awful, making me very reluctant to go outside)
Next up – the vane base. Which is a part of the wind vane that…. sets the course somehow?! I’m still not sure exactly how it works yet…
It’s made up of alternating squares of plywood and metal that I cut
I then cut a hole in the middle, bolted the metal on top of each one and cut them down to size
Ending up with this
I then had to cut a groove down the middle of one of the squares, which took some careful drilling to do (again, no idea how you’d do this without a drill press)
Then, a matter of bolting the whole shebang together
sanding it down
and cutting it in half
I then cut a bit of metal of the attachment piece
and the whole lot connects round the metal tube. It had a bit of metal bolted on the side which means the whole thing rotates around a groove in the blocks. Very cool!
Here is an ACTION SHOT. INTENSE.
Then I had to create the vane attachment, which was basically shaped metal and wood with screws as hinges. I forgot to take any photos of this bit but you probably have the idea anyway. File/cut/trim/drill blah blah
Here it is so far!
It’s actually starting to take shape!