Hebridean Wind Vane Construction: Part 3 (Piece 13)

Basically I think this is my life from now on. HOPE YOU LIKE READING ABOUT FIDDLY BITS OF METAL. Actually I was originally going to triumphantly write about how i got my discount Raymarine speed transducer to work on NMEA2000, except it was a dismal failure. So here is more windvane stuff

SO, first of, when I said I finished those last two pieces, I’d actually forgotten to shape the last side of both of them. So I did that first with hacksaw and file etc etc

IMG_20151207_182402

Anyway, I didn’t feel like doing anymore hacksaw work after that, so I decided to do piece 13 next. This involved drilled a hole in the INSIDE of a bolt and then tapping it. A bolt inside a bolt, neat!

First I used a centre punch to make a dent in the centre of the bolt.

IMG_20151207_184418

Then I drilled a pilot hole with the 3mm drill bit

IMG_20151207_185613 IMG_20151207_191559

Then I drilled it out to the proper size, and then tapped it

IMG_20151207_192439

End result:

IMG_20151207_193752

Testing out the thread

IMG_20151207_193716

Pretty simple, though it’s not centered 100%. I’m not sure this matters – if it does I’ll just buy a new bolt and retry.

Also, my viseĀ is a HUGE PIECE OF SHIT. I need to get a new one, as this one refuses to hold stuff completely flat.

PIECES COMPLETE: 1, 4A+4B, 13

HOURS: 9

Matt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.