Frustrations

So I arrived Saturday morning, laden with cleaning products, ready to start scrubbing the HELL out of the boat. Except – the water was off at the yard. For the forseeable future. Argh.

I tried scrubbing with a bucket of water, but it was SO filthy I 100% needed the fresh clean water from a hose. The pictures below show what I was up against.

IMG_20140201_113654 IMG_20140201_113657

 

Yuk.

Anyway, with cleaning off the table, I had to find something else to work on. I settled on exploring the plumping, and started clearing stuff off the boat.

Next day, I arrived and the water was STILL off – argh! I finished clearing the boat and decided to check the engine. Below you can see the cleared boat – all the tools are still there, but I’ve removed all the cushions and hatches giving me access to various things. Also it was dark when I took this picture, hence the graininess.

IMG_20140202_171238

First things first – I checked both the oil dipsticks on the engine. Both were good – next up was the fuel filter, that cup thing shown below. I shut the fuelcock off and unscrewed the cap.

IMG_20140202_164820 IMG_20140202_165044

 

Unfortunately it was full of diesel – so when I took it off I spilled diesel everywhere. I still smell it on my clothes. However, filter looked fine so onto the next thing! Which was the freshwater impeller, behind this panel

IMG_20140202_170449

 

As you can see one of the screws was stripped, so I used my dremel to make a new slit in the screw, and used a flat headed screwdriver to unscrew it. Worked like a charm!

I couldn’t get the cover off however, and I tried undoing the screw on top but ended up squirting antifreeze everywhere. Oops.

With that I decided to call it a night. Hopefully, the water will be back by Tuesday, when I go back and I can start cleaning.

Matt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.