Engine Refresh Part 1 – Heat Exchanger

First thing to do was to move the heat away from it’s old position – IE above the batteries. In this position, if it vented coolant, it would vent right onto the batteries, which would not be a particularly great thing to happen. You can see it in the picture below at the bottom.

batt3

Once i removed it, I decided to take a peek inside – it was hella gross. So I took it to a radiator shop to get cleaned and re-soldered. I also had to replace the zinc on the thing.

Next I had to decide where to mount it. I decide on the starboard lazarette. You may ask why I didn’t leave it where it was, and move the batteries over to the starboard lazarette, thereby saving a lot of wiring and time and money, and in return I’d tell you to shut up and yell at you until you left. Ahem.

To mount the heat exchange, I nabbed some spare wood from work, and drilled two 1/2 holes through it. I then did the same with the fiberglass lining, and then attached the wood to the inside of the lazarette with two 1/2 stainless steel bolts, like so.

wpid-wp-1408391909805.jpeg

 

View from inside cockpit

wpid-wp-1408339252311.jpeg

Then, time to mount the heat exchange to the mounting block.

wpid-wp-1408339252323.jpeg

And here it is after connecting all the engine hoses! (Next update)

wpid-wp-1408339242207.jpeg

 

Last thing to do was fill full of coolant.

Matt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.